top of page
  • Writer's pictureDavid Mu

Understanding the Difference: T4A vs. T5018 in Canadian Tax Forms

Tax season can be confusing, especially when you're dealing with those mysterious numbered forms. If you're a freelancer, work with independent contractors, or are in the construction industry, you'll likely come across T4As and T5018s. What are they, and why do they matter?

T4A: Income from All Angles

The T4A slip is your catch-all form for various types of income besides regular employment. If you were paid for any of the following, you could receive a T4A:

• Self-employment earnings

• Professional fees

• Scholarships or bursaries

• Research grants

• Certain pension or retirement income

Keep your T4A handy, as you'll need to report this income on your tax return.

T5018: The Construction Specialist

The T5018 is all about construction. If your business operates in the construction industry, you'll need to issue a T5018 to any subcontractor you paid over $500 for construction-related work during the year.

How to File T4As and T5018s:

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) offers three filing methods:

• Web Forms: Perfect for a few slips. Access these directly on the CRA website.

• Electronic Filing: Best for lots of forms. You'll need compatible software and a Web Access Code from the CRA.

• Mail: Traditional, but it works. Ensure it's postmarked by the deadline!

Don't Miss the Deadline!

The CRA has a strict due date for T4As and T5018s – the last day of February following the calendar year they apply to. Mark your calendar to avoid late penalties.

Confused? Get Help!

If you're still unsure about T4As, T5018s, or other tax matters, the CRA website is full of helpful information. You can also seek the advice of a tax professional.

Master Your Canadian Taxes

Understanding T4As and T5018s is a big step towards navigating tax season like a pro!

13 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

How Many Years Back Can You File Taxes in Canada?

Filing taxes late? Wondering how far back you can go to get your taxes in order in Canada? Whether you're eyeing a potential refund or you've realized you owe the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), understa


bottom of page